How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JG_Legal Your Own Question
JG_Legal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 47
Experience:  Experience of consumer law, financial regulation and criminal law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JG_Legal is online now

My ex partner entered a restaurant I was sitting in a booth

This answer was rated:

Hi my ex partner entered a restaurant I was sitting in a booth with my two year old son next to me he walked over called me all sorts then head butted me I grabbed my son and ran went to the police he has been charged with common assault as it was on cctv what would be the likely sentence

I'm a criminal barrister practising in London.

I had a very similar case to this a few weeks ago. Do you know, does your ex-partner have any previous convictions for violence? If so, have there been any reported incidents involving you in the past?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know he has had fights and been at the police station and he was in the cells in Spain with his ex partner as he attacked her and smashed the apartment up. We have had the police over as a neighbour says he pushed him in the street but that case was dropped I've had loads of threats in texts and had the police noted about it. He use to hit his ex wife but she never reported it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My two year old son was sitting next to me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you need more info

The maximum sentence for common assault is 6 months custody. This incident sounds fairly nasty; the headbutt, location and presence of a child are all aggravating features. I would say a sentence of somewhere between 2 - 4 months custody would probably be imposed.

However, if he pleads guilty at first appearance he will get a third off the sentence.

And, unless he has previous convictions for violence / harassment etc the sentence is likely to be suspended e.g. 2 months custody suspended for 24 months. Under which he won't actually go to prison unless he commits are further offence within the period of suspension.

Please rate me if this answers your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so will therd be a fine and or community service and where do I stand after this as I'm scared and I'm actually not sure if I want my little boy around him. So if he has previous records of violence eg fighting that's taken into account?

The prosecutor will almost certainly apply for a restraining order even if he isn't convicted. This will prevent him from communicating with you or being within a certain distance from you.

He will get a custodial sentence if convicted. The question is whether it will be suspended or not. The court can attach community service orders, such as unpaid work. He won't get a fine if he gets a custodial sentence but he should be ordered to pay some compensation to you.

His previous record of violence will be taken into account and if he has previous convictions for violence the custodial sentence will not be suspended.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the likelihood is a custodial sentence and they will also look out for my safety I think he is pleading guilty

Yes, almost certainly a custodial sentence given the features of the offence (if he has previous for violence). And if convicted, a restraining order is a certainty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help do you know where I would stand regarding my son he also has two other children from a previous relationship

I'm not an expert in family law so I cannot assist with that question.

If you are satisfied with my answer please rate me. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the likelihood he would get more than just a fine


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do the courts literally just look at the facts he walked in headbutted me in front of my son in a public place he can't get out of it in anyway. His mother is a police officer she can't get involved can she to help him?

For sentencing purposes, if those are the facts he was convicted on, the court will look at them. His mother cannot help him.

Have I answered your question?

If I have answered your question please rate me. Thank you.

JG_Legal and other Law Specialists are ready to help you