How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Rented a property that was adapted 11yr old sons disabled

This answer was rated:

rented a property that was adapted for my 11yr old sons disabled needs, a contract was signed and agreed that adaptations can proceed and legislation states that the tenants i.e. myself and my son will need to remain in the property for 3-5 yrs. rent is paid via housing benefit, council already questions why rent is so much. the landlord now says that they are increasing the rent to pay their own bills and we have to pay otherwise we are evicted. Can they do this? where do I stand?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

For now please can you let me know how long you have signed for? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started renting the property on Sept 2015 for one year
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the explicit agreement that we will be renewing yearly until my son's litigation is over, or the councils adaptation period is over i.e. 3-5 yrs under legislation

Does the agreement say that though? In the terms.

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does. It says 12th tenancy agreement. They are saying that after this time period is up in Sept 2016, that they are increasing the rent and it is non negotiable. If we cannot pay then, we have to move out. They fail to realise or remember that they signed a permission agreement with the council stating that they allow the council to do adaptations worth £30,000 on their property for the use of the disabled person i.e. my son. Under the Disabled Grant Fund, when this is done, the disabled person has to make use of the property for a period of 3-5yrs. My question is whether or not they have any grounds when the tenancy is up to evict us? We pay £1750 per month...they are asking for £1895 per month
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this will cover their short fall for council tax on the annexe that they occupy which they don't even use because they are in spain all the time, they are upset with the council because the council says they have to charge them separately for council tax from us. the council tax benefit covers all our council tax, on alot of the other bills we pay 65% and they pay 35%, but they became upset when the council says that they have to pay separately
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bot***** *****ne is they are extorting us
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
because my son's litigation case has gone viral and made headline news, they are always throwing in our face how much they have ''helped'' us out and done for us.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I have accepted and paid for the telephone conversation but nothing is happening

Do you have a number? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have sent it in the private contact info

Can you send it again, as its not showing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will resend now


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the call Alex. just looked at all the contracts, the tenancy agreement was made up prior to the Disability grant fund contract. It was agreed after, but only verbally.... I know you might say that a verbal agreement would not stand up in court.