How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71042
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have received a letter from Miah Solicitors on behalf of

Customer Question

I have received a letter from Miah Solicitors on behalf of UKCPS Limited. Claiming that I over stayed my parking, was sent a parking charge note but the same remains unpaid. Firstly, I do not remember overstaying my parking, I did not see visible notice for the parking time and most importantly I did not receive the said parking notice. They are now demanding £160.00 and further charges should I not pay the same in 14 days from the 4th of July. Can you please advise me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know the next steps to take. Do I respond asking for evidence, ignore them or instruct a firm of solicitors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Are you prepared to risk being sued?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whilst I'm not keen on litigation if that is what it takes then yes.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

In that case, just ignore them and wait to see if they issue.

Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. They used not to hardly at all but they are becoming more aggressive now.

If they do sue then you will have to put them to prove but there is no point in engaging in lengthy debates with them now. They will not ever agree with you or conceded their evidence is non existent.

That said, it really doesn't matter whether they sent you proper notifications particularly. The only issue is whether or not they can prove overstaying.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the letter they have stated that I was observed entering at 12:30 and leaving at 16:14? What sort of evidence will they have? Is it worth going to the place to see what the notice is?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Probably footage of your number place entering and leaving.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't put yourself to inconvenience at this stage. They may not issue.

if they do then go and gather evidence of the notice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lastly should they decide to issue proceedings what timescales are we looking at. I have holidays coming up and do not want them to obtain judgement in my absence.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They have six years from the date of the wrongful act but you should be sent notification.

If you are not that is a specific ground to set aside judgment.

As long as they have the correct address for you.