How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

The pub where my son aged 22 worked was 'burgled' and £27000

Customer Question

The pub where my son aged 22 worked was 'burgled' and £27000 stolen. He was the last to lock up and put takings in the safe. The next day the money was gone but the CCTV tape was taken and someone had known the codes to gain entry to the building and the safe. The owners son came and asked my son to tell him what he knew and sent texts that his life would be ruined if he didn't coe clean, but my son had only done what he did every night and came home so there was nothing to tell. He has been effectively sacked as he is on a zero hour contract and they are not giving him any more hours until the police investigation is completed. He has nothing to hide - should he voluntarily make a statement to the police? Does he need to see a solicitor? Can he get legal aid?The owner thinks he was involved obviously. The police have not contacted him at all as yet. This happened two weeks ago. Is there anything else we should be doing?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.

I think it is the crime side of this yo want help with.

If there is a police investigation gong on then he should wait to be contacted by the police. The like to do things in the order they want to and int he time that they want to. It is not as if there are many complicated acts to remember just a normal night's work then ended normally so he doesn't need to writ things down to help him remember the facts.

If the police do get in touch they may want to interview him. If they do want to question him then he has a right to free independent legal advice. There is no means testing for legal aid in the police station if they are arrested or being questioned voluntarily. Everyone is entitled to free advice. This can be provided by the duty solicitor scheme or he can instruct his own solicitor of choice.

I hitnk that her is really very little that you or he can do now except wait calmly for developments, that may never happen.