How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

Right To Rent checks - do I need to see the original

This answer was rated:

Right To Rent checks - do I need to see the original passport/ID from the tenant and make a copy or can I request a scanned copy to be sent?


Thanks for your question.

Are you acting in a professional capacity? If not, the scanned copies will suffice.

You could ask for certified copies, that way a professional has had to see the tenant and the passport/ID.

Any further questions or queries?

Happy to help further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I manage some properties for my parents. Can I accept a photo of the passport / scanned copies?

You can. If you are acting outside of a professional context then photocopies/scans are acceptable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When you refer to professional context, do you mean a business or agency?

For yor purposes a scanned copy / photo copy is fine.

It is only professionals, lawyer/accountants etc, that has more stringent requirements.

propertylawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you