How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have a couple of flat's in a house I own, my ex-wife

This answer was rated:

I have a couple of flat's in a house I own, my ex-wife (divorced 1998) wants to rent one of the flat's. She has a state pension and has been in receipt of Housing Benefit since she retired in 2004.
I am aware she is not considered a relative but could I be in trouble for renting her a flat.

Hi, thank you for your question. If the property used to be used as a home for both of you during the relationship (ie. you shared it) then housing benefit cannot fund the rent.

However, if she is paying or liable to pay you rent for a property where you never lived together then you may be able to receive housing benefit to cover her rent however the local authority will have discretion to refuse housing benefit as you used to live together as a family. Furthermore, if you have children who she is still responsible for then you will not be eligible to receive housing benefit to cover her rent.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you