How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have just been made redundant & my partner is in prison;

This answer was rated:

I have just been made redundant & my partner is in prison; the mortgage is in arrears and I've just had 15 days' notice of their intent to instigate legal action to repossess. I can't sell the house, just can't. What is the situation if someone is in prison?

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information to fully assist you:

-How many months arrears and what is the amount of arrears?

-Do you or your partner have savings to clear the arrears?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Around 10 months = £10775.50 There are no savings and although he has small portfolio/pension pot, we fully expect that to be given to the prosecution

If the mortgage is in joint names and your partner was the main contributor towards the mortgage, then the court can use its discretion to suspend the repossession proceedings whilst you make efforts to settle the arrears. If you cannot settle the arrears in a reasonable time then it is unlikely that you will be able to prevent repossession.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for, but if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you,

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you