How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

How do I make sure the car rental company returns me the

This answer was rated:

How do I make sure the car rental company returns me the money that it was supposed to give me back by the contractual agreement and what they have overcharged me without my consent? I rented a car for holiday in south France with supercharge cover insurance which they made me pay at the counter AND 76 Euro on top for the full tank of fuel which they said they would pay back to my account should the car is returned back with the full tank of fuel. The car was returned with full tank (filler up at the fuel station that is literally next door to the car rental company office) , however not only they did not return the 76 Euro, but they charged me additional 40 Euro on top claiming that the car was returned empty. I have the copy of the contract and receipts form the fuel stations where I filled the car up. I also filed a case with the company and sent them an email with the copies of all documents.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Which country are they based in ?

How did you pay for the sums waiting to be refunded?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are based in France and everything was paid by credit card

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

However speak to your card company first as you can issue a chargeback if they don't refund
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to write the letter on paper? Will email not suffice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also refund within 14 days: from which date are the 14 days counted?

paper is better if you can. Unless they respond to the email. 14 days from receipt. Alex

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you