How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71035
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

There has been a argument between me my wife and my step

Customer Question

there has been a argument between me my wife and my step daughter the boyfriend has phoned me today and said that i have abused my daughter from the age of 7 yrs old, now my wife no that isnt true but i need to stop the serious allegations on me .
if i tell you a bit about my wife then u might understand she was sexally abused by her dad at the age of 4yrs old now he said that my wife deserved what happen to her now my wife is worried about our granddaughter who is 7 yrs old now i need this to stop she has also accused her cusion micelle of sexally abusing her what is my rights and how do i deal with these lies
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you are asking?

Obviously there is no way to stop them making allegations.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok my wife is suffering from post stress syndrome over taking her father to crown court in taunton and it was proved by the jury that he was guilty and now over an argument they are saying this about me of which is driving my wife off her head now i'm prepared to take this all the way because i'm innocent of the abuse, he told me that i have abused my step daughter from the age of 7 when that is a false allegation so surely i can stop this, this is slander its very damaging it has to stop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has also said that my wife deserved all abuse she got baring in mind my wife was 4 yrs old when her father done this
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, he was convicted. Loads of people are falsely convicted. I wouldn't rely on that.

Of course they are using this as revenge. Commonly that is what allegations of sexual abuse are about.

Also, probably she is emboldened by the fact that she succeeded in Taunton so she thinks she can do it all over the place.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You never want to be involved with people who make allegations of abuse. they always turn on you in the end.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The problem with this allegation is that it is very easy to make and very hard to defend which is why they get away with it.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If she is intent upon making these allegations then there is nothing that can be done to stop her. All you could do after is sue for defamation but that isn't really realistic because it is so expensive and anyway she probably could not pay the award.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If they do make this allegation to the police you will have to defend it in the normal way.

If they keep saying it to others then you could send them a solicitor's letter warning them of the laws of defamation which at least sets on record that you dispute the claims.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sorry, I mean my wife took her dad to court because he did sexually abuse her from an age of 4! What I am trying to say is she is using what my wife has been through to falsely accuse me of sexually abusing her from the age of 7. She has also accused her cousin previously and then back tracked.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I understand. The usual nonsense. Lives in a house where somebody makes this allegation. Sees the damage it can do. Trots it out to get revenge, compensation or attention. All quite standard.

Most of these allegations are a load of fantasy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now what do I do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get a letter to warn them off with defamation?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

To whom have they said this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he told me he tells everyone that knows him and my step daughter she is the one saying it
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You could probably get a solicitor to write to them.

That would cost about £100 plus VAT.

If they are saying they are telling people then even if they are not you are entitled to be concerned.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't worry though. I think people are becoming aware that these allegations are rarely true.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you jo im very upset all this is disgusting but i want a letter sent is that something you could do for me jo
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not allowed to accept instructions directly under the rules of this site but a barrister under public access could do this for you.

If you try here


they will have somebody.