How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My ex partner has evicted me from s property only allowing

Customer Question

My ex partner has evicted me from his property only allowing me to take bare essentials before demanding I leave. I still have personal items and furniture in the house. He has taken the keys from me and claims he has been advised by a solicitor not to let me in the house under any circumstances.
What are my rights regarding retrieval of my remaining items.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. Just a few more details required please:

-Are you married to your partner?

-Is your name on the title of the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not married and my name is ***** ***** the house title deeds. This is just a simple situation of me retrieving my personal belongings, furniture and dog only. I went to the house yesterday after staying in a friends the night before. I was going to remove all personal items with a date to set for furniture. He was in the house, recorded my every move from over my shoulder while harassing me throughout to get out. I had nothing, no clothes and all my rheumatoid and other medical items were essential. He kept saying, you're making me uncomfortable, your making me very nervous. I could only get so much of my things before he stopped me going up the stairs. He told me he wants all my things out immediately. I'm not to return to the house to oversee the loading of my furniture and boxed items. He says he will not let me in to pack anything and as we speak is going through everything I have left there and putting it in the front lounge of the house. He claims I will not have the right, after having friends pack for me, to complete a reconnaissance to ensure all my items are present and correct. He tried to stop me opening cupboards in the bathroom yesterday claiming nothing in there was mine. There was a whole shelf of toiletries etc purchased by me. Look it's a bad time for him, he's going through some very personal issues and he seems to my mind to have some sort of episode. All I want is fory items to be packed and collected by mutual friend with 10 mins to go around the house and leave with as little stress as is possible. Where do I stand in the eyes of the law here. I do not want to breach any laws, nor antagonise the man any further in the process. I had surgery yesterday and went peacefully to get my things, this all happened 3 hours before I left for a major surgery under general anaesthetic. I didn't need any trouble and all I got was harassment throughout, preventing me from getting all personal items. I have all medical documentation to support this from London Bridge Hospital.
Many thanks.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. Legally he cannot keep your possessions and if he does not voluntarily allow you access to the property you will need to pursue an application to your local county court for an order requiring him to provide the property to you or to provide you access to the property.

In the circumstances I would suggest you write a formal letter requesting reasonable access at a mutually and convenient time and for both of you to bring an independent witness to support and inform him that if he does not agree to the proposals that you will have no choice but to pursue an application to court. This can be commenced using a form N1 and a £355 court fee to your local county court.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.