How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I've recently separated from my wife and I'm currently

This answer was rated:

I've recently separated from my wife and I'm currently residing in a rented flat. My wife and three children (the eldest from my wife's former partner), live in a 2 bed house that's mortgaged in her name since she purchased the house in 2003.
I've lived there since 2007 and have made major improvements to the property from funds of my previous property I sold 3 years ago.
Do I have any claims to the property?

Hi, thank you for your question. Was tge flat the former matrimonial home immediately before you separated and moved out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I moved in with my wife 2007 and married 2008. I've lived there ever since.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the house was a matrimonial home before We separated & I moved out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, is anyone there?

Apologies for the delay. As the property is the former matrimonial home you have matrimonial home rights arising out of the marriage. This entitles you to occupy the property and you should consider registering your home rights on the title using form HR1 with the land registry - she will be informed that such a registration has been made. The home rights will remain on the title and can only be removed after divorce. During this time you should be considering financial negotiations regarding matrimonial finances, which will include the former matrimonial home. Please do let me know if you require further information regarding matrimonial finances as part of a divorce.

In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you