How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have my five grandchildren living with me on a sgo order

Customer Question

I have my five grandchildren living with me on a sgo order funded weekly from Cornwall council they've been with me nearly two years iv just received a letter to say they will be stopping payments when the children have been with us three years due to policy change the baby is not yet 2 the others are nearly 3 5 6 and 13 I'm 57 can they do this there is no way I can earn this kind of money and I will probably have to go back to work but combining work and small children at my age will not be easy furthermore we have had no other support than financial the sgo liaison person apparently left months ago no one informed me and I only found out because her phone was dead and I was forced to phone child services in Cornwall
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

Were the children placed with you by Social Services in the first place?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on their agreement that we were the best placement they were in foster care separated for six weeks prior to that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cornwall social services stayed with us for three months then closed our files and left us with an sgo liaison person who never answered my calls if I needed to ask her anything as far as I'm concerned the only people who fulfilled their duty so far is my husband and myself because other than the financial aid there's been nothing else and now they want to stop that I haven't contacted local family plus team to see what can be done as yet although I will at a later date
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We live in Devon
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Were there actually Care Proceedings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was a formal care proceedings although my husband and I did not have a solicitor the parents did and so did the child services
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Have Cornwall completed a recent financial re-assessment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they have
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

And did they assess you as no longer NEEDING financial support?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they gave it us for another year but said it will cease after three years they told us we would have that support until they either ceased to live with us ceased full time education or until 18 and although we didn't realise we would get it when we put ourselves forward to get our grandchildren out of care the life and freedom it has given us has enabled my grandchildren to adjust to not living with their parents and enabled me to full time be there for them why would they hinder that when it was their idea to drag them from a holiday they were on and instead of bringing them to us just split them into the foster system all that trauma was unessessary and now cut off financial support and say to two people who have upturned their freedom get on with it suddenly emotional needs don't count oh well they did when they shunted them to foster carers can you tell I'm upset by all this
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Could you give me the wording that they used regarding why they believe they are entitled to do this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Iv snapped the letter so you can read it
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You are going to need to write back and point out that in fact the children were placed with you - rather than in foster care - on the basis that you would be supported in their care and that the payment therefore remains their responsibility - as it would have been if they had been placed with you under Foster care arrangements - a much more expensive outcome for them.

To simply remove this support now is not acceptable.

You shoudl be able to get some support in this ( I fear you are not the only ones in this position) from the Family Rights Group -

Push it as high as you need to go

Please ask if you need further details