How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10976
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I live in a ground floor maisonette, the above rental

This answer was rated:

I live in a ground floor maisonette, the above rental property has had a leak and damaged my kitchen celling, the leak was from a washing machine, is the owner of the upstairs property liable for the damage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no service charge paid to any managing agent, just ground rent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm told by the tennent that the washing machine was already in the flat and they had notified the landlord about a build up of water in the kitchen, he failed to act.

1. Dear Mat, yes the owner of the flat above is liable for the entering of water from his flat into your flat. Essentially, this water constitutes a nuisance in law and both an owner and an occupier of property is liable for the emission of water from their flat premises into an adjoining flat or the flat below. It does not matter how the emission of water occurred. Here, the flat owner is liable for the water from his washing machine entering your flat and causing damage to your ceiling. The flat owner is also liable for all other damage caused by the water. It makes no difference that there is only ground rent payable. The principles are the same. So here, you should contact the flat owner and seek recompense for the damage.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you