How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My pet cat passed away last year and was insured. The policy

This answer was rated:

My pet cat passed away last year and was insured. The policy paid the vets who treat him so they knew he had passed away but i have received a renewal for this month and they have still been taking my monthly payments for over a year now. I was under the impression that my insurance would of been cancelled when they finalised everything with the vets direct. Could you please advise as i was told today i am not entitled to be reimbursed. Many thanks.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

For now please let me know how much you have paid please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, i was paying £17.08 per month from 22/6/15 and it went up last month to £19.77. My cat passed away on 28/01/15 so it must be in the region of around £300.00. Sorry i do not want to waste your time if i am at fault for not realising i had missed the policy being sent last year and i missed it.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reason why i asked for your help was that when i rang today the girl who took my call was not very helpful. I told her that i had e-mailed regarding my query in May and i was told that they had nothing on file and when i said that they had paid my vets directly regarding his treatment and passing, i was told there was nothing she could do but cancel my policy today. Am i being stupid here or do you think in your opinion i should take this further? Thank you.

Yes I think you can take this further. Why should you pay for something which you are not using?
Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated. I am going to take your advice and write a letter and see what happens. I am also going to contact my vets to get a copy of transactions. Thank you again.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you