On my visa application (General Tier 2 Skilled Worker),

On my visa application (General Tier 2 Skilled Worker), there is a question:
"Have you received any other penalty in relation to a criminal offence; for example a caution, reprimand, warning, or similar penalties in the UK or any other country?"
In USA (my home country) many years ago I was arrested for possession of cannabis, all charges were dropped and the case dismissed, after I completed an "informal diversion program" which involved a short drug education class. Must I report this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I will submit the application on Monday. If you can get me a response over the weekend that would be fine. Otherwise please cancel the question.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Is this the only offence please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is the only offence.

Then you dont need to declare it. There is no information sharing between the UK and USA so they wont even know about it.

People apply all the time for visas and dont declare minor convictions.

But you were not even convicted - so you dont need to declare it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could there be negative repercussions if I did declare it? Or would it likely make no difference?
I am being sponsored for an academic institution for a postdoctoral researcher job in science.

You may well get interviewed etc. It may be refused but I would hope not.

It just drags out the process.

Can I clarify anything? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No more questions. Thank you for your advice.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience