How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

We own property with no access to road, only a footpath.

Customer Question

we own property with no access to road, only a footpath. this means we need to park a car more than 100 meters (sometimes more) away from house. it proves very difficult now that we have a baby.
how do we get council to allow us to use green-land adjacent to a path-walk? we could then use a car to drive and park in our front garden.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

You could agree with the owner to rent part of the land to cannot do anything without the owner's authority.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response.
As i said the adjacent green-land is governed by council and they do not want to allow us to use it. Even if we come to agreement to rent that plot of land, it is still green-land meaning not suitable to drive vehicle. Some work would need to be done (laying down paving, tarmac, etc.) to make it suitable for a car. as i said the closest road is 100 meters away. Look at the image here: own the house furthest away on the map and needed the access to the land in red to drive through. weather we own it or not, we do not care but we need to be able to use a car to park by our house.does this provide more information?What can we do? Is right of way or right of access any relevant here?
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

It is difficult. If you have no vehicular rights then all you can do is negotiate. There is no statutory or common law right for vehicular access. You cannot demand it and the land owner does not have to provide it. Unless you can negotiate, you will have to cover the costs involved molest probably, then there is nothing you can do. I am sorry.