How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35062
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am living in the UK illegally since 2001 I have had

This answer was rated:

I am living in the UK illegally since 2001 I have had correspondence with the Home office, for right to stay in the UK, this has gone to court and been denied, in 2012 I got married in church in the city of Coventry, my husband and I did not get a marriage license of any kind and only have a marriage certificate issued at the time of the wedding, I now understand that we should have got a Superintendent registrars certificate , which we did not get, and this should have had Home Office approval, which we did not apply for or get, the Vicar who married us did not advise us that any of this was necessary, I am of Kenyan Nationality born in 1965, my Husband is of British Nationality aged 61, unfortunately our marriage has broken down and I am now with someone else, and I am seeking a divorce, the question is am I legally married or not.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

For clarity which Church were you married in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
St Paul Foleshill Coventry

The fact that the other matters were not done correctly doe snot mean that the marriage was no valid.

You are indeed legally married and will need a divorce

Please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you