How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have worked car dealer since March 2015. I have a company

This answer was rated:

I have worked for a car dealer since March 2015. I have a company car but have not paid tax on it.
The company has just sent me a copy of a P11D showing tax value of £4660.00.
When i started i had to complete a P46. Nothing about a company car tax deduction.
Who is responsible now because the HM Revenue and customs will want the tax paid.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Do you complete a self assessment Anually?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't complete a self assessment as I am employed by the company.
I thought it was there job to notify and inform me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told verbally that they did not tell HM Revenue as other people didn't pay company car tax?

Its bad news I am afraid. It your tax and therefore even though you are PAYE you would be liable for the underpayment.

This is because you would have had to needed to pay tax on it anyway.

So you had earnings which should have had more tax deducted.

So your employer may have been negligent but you would have received less as it should have been taxed.

Sadly you are liable.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Alex.
But I do feel that I should not be liable foe something that the company has failed to do.
As you said they have been negligent also in this matter.
By not completing or getting me to fill in the correct tax forms for when i started.

But you would have received a reduction in wages anyway, so in reality you would have paid it.

But the law says you are liable to HMRC, you can try and sue your employer but you would have had reduced payments in any event.

Does that clairfy? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but what I need to know is that the company was as much responsible for notification to HMRC as I was.
They knew the situation

They were responsible for notification, but YOU are liable for the tax.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand I am liable to pay the tax. But if they didn't notify HMRC surely they are also accountable partly for this mess.
So could I demand they help with repaying the un paid tax.
Or do I get HMRC to investigate the issue

Yes. But you cant demand they help to pay it - they cant pay it for you.

They can assist in that it is paid by instalments, but thats it.

Does that clarify? Alex

Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: