How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

While on a cruise in January I was taken ill with food

This answer was rated:

While on a cruise in January I was taken ill with food poisoning and confined to my cabin for 24 hours as normal procedure. A few days later I was served half a chicken for my meal, After eating some of it I discovered the chicken was raw on the inside. I then suffered another bout of diahorrea and was again confined to my cabin for another 24 hours. My wife was also confined with me and ordered room service. When the burger and chips arrived she discovered a still frozen and raw chip in with the cooked ones. We did complain on every occasion and received a letter from the Guest Relations dept apologising for the food quality on board and offering us a meal in the al la carte restaurant. I have complained to Thomson cruises who passed our complaint on to their legal dept. Today I received a letter from their Custmer Claims Team saying that they have investigated my complaint and can find no fault with the ship or neglect on part of the ship. They have offered £100 to cover the whole party as a gesture of goodwill if we sign the disclaimer they have sent. I am disgusted with Thomson and wish to take this matter further. Please can you advise me of the next steps to take. Thank You

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much do you want to claim please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you