How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

How can I challenge a housing benefit overpayment notice

This answer was rated:

how can I challenge a housing benefit overpayment notice even though I have proof of always telling them about any change of circumstances?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

When did you get the overpayment decision please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got a letter last night asking for £4,500 for overpayment last year

Why have you waited so long before deciding to do anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pardon? I received a letter yesterday saying I owe £4,600 for 04/15 - 02/16.

Ok, you said it was last year but I may have misunderstood.

You can write back and say you want to appeal, this is your right.

The matter will then go before a tribunal who will decide whether you have been overpaid or not.

In short you have a right to appeal but only a limited time to do that.

Can I clairfy Anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appealed once in writing in February this year about a similar notice about being overpaid on council tax benefit. A letter came back saying they had reviewed it and their calculation was right and then they took £1,000 the next day. I had no time for anything else. How will it go to tribunal?

You formally appeal. A review is different from an appeal. So you write back saying you want to appeal and it will go to tribunal.

Does that clairfy? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you