How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

COUNCIL TAX ARREARS - I have a number of storic outstanding

COUNCIL TAX ARREARS - I have a number of historic outstanding council tax demands / liability orders from wiltshire council which have never been agreed or cancelled or settled by anybody .
The properties were inhabited by known tenants to the council as many were on housing benefit . the tenants moved on without notification to anyone breaching assured shorthold tenancy terms leaving arrears and vacant units which have then attracted unpaid council tax for various periods .
The council is continually demanding these council tax arrears + vacant periods should be paid by myself as the owner / landlord .
I have refused to accept that liability as i have never been the occupier nor consumer of services at these properties which were not multi occupied and I did not cause any of the losses or liabilities .
Can the council pursue myself as the freeholder but not occupier for any assessments of council tax ?
The relevant properties were sold over ten years ago - to pay out ancillary relief order awarded to former wife
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Show Less
Ask Your Own Law Question
replied 1 year ago.

Do you own these properties?