How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My neice rented my property from me and I asked months rent

This answer was rated:

my neice rented my property from me and I asked for a months rent in advance I am not really a landlord as the property was up for sale and she came to me desperate for some where temporary to live. she is moving out after 12 months and has left my property in a mess. she is also asking for the months rent back which I have said she can have as long as she puts right the damage. she is now saying I should of given her details of where the months rent up front went (protection account?) I don't know anything about this protection account and she is saying she can sue me for upto 3 times the amount she paid as I didn't take out this protection,is she right? I only let her rent my property because she was desperate and now its making me ill as I am getting in debt myself having to pay the mortgage on it. she has been given a council house. what should I do?

Is this an AST?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is an AST?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am unable to use the phone

Assured shorthold tenancy agreement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume that's what it is. I have never rented out a property before I was just doing my neice a favour as she was desperate I did give her a tenancy agreement and she paid 2 months rent in advance

Ok. Proceeding on the basis that this is an AST then she is right. She is also an ungrateful little madam and you might want to have nothing more to do with her but the problem is that being an unreasonable tenant doesn't mean you are not a tenant.

The deposit should have been in a scheme and it is not. She does have a claim for three times the sum. You would probably not be liable for three times the amount but she could sue for up to that sum.

If you are prepared to take the risk then you can deduct any damage from her deposit and sue her for any additional amount but you may well be hit with a counterclaim.

The advantage here though is that she will not probably just refuse to go because she has a council house waiting for her.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thankyou Jo

No problem. All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you