How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50149
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I bought a car from a dealer. The car broke within 2 days

This answer was rated:

I bought a car from a dealer. The car broke within 2 days and nearly caused a fatal accident. I had to return the car but also had to rent a car while searching for a new car. I would like the dealer to compensate me for the cost of rental car and stress caused. Where should I complain

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

How long ago did you buy the car? Also, was it a new or used ca\r?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a used car. I bought it November last year. I applied to small claim court but the case was dismissed because I didn't have a contract that says they should provide courtesy car. But I believe they should held responsible

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

No problem at all.

Many thanks for your patience. The issue here is that you have already used up the options you have to take this matter further. The last resort would have been court but you have done this and the case was rejected. This was your last chance. You cannot keep making claims on the same issues until you find a judge or a court that would agree with you. Once a claim has been made, unless you have ways of finding to appeal on points of law, you cannot challenge the court’s decision. So there is no other way to try and force them to compensate you unfortunately. Only a court could have ordered that but you have used that option up. So now the only way is to negotiate directly with them and based on what has happened so far I believe it is unlikely they will just try and offer you anything. Also be aware that you cannot claim for stress relating to this, you would not really be compensated for that, so it is just the direct losses incurred that you could go after them for but as mentioned now all you can do is to resolve them directly with them as curt is no longer an option.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Although I may not be able to challenge the court but there must be away of making things right. An organisation or governing body where I could complain about the troubles I went through because of the dealer negligence. If we had an accident and one of us had serious injuries or died, the dealer would have been trailed for selling the unsafe car.

You can complain to Trading Standards but you cannot force them to act. So they will decide if this is a matter they can get involved with. Usually they would only get involved if there is a large scale consumer issue, let’s say this dealer has a history of treating consumers in this way. However, you cannot sue someone for what could have happened. Yes they could have indeed been sued for negligence or other matters if there had been an accident but you cannot sue someone for something that has not actually happened. So criminally there is no issue here

If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

You are welcome

Ben Jones and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you