How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A friend of mine was defrauded out of £20 k. The perpetrator

This answer was rated:

A friend of mine was defrauded out of £20 k. The perpetrator pleaded guilty at court and has been given a suspended sentence and rehabilitation by the court????? Unbelievably! However no mention of repayment has made. Please can you advise us on a way forward

Is this person in work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure at the moment they were employed but probably not

Do they have assets to your knowledge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Council house! 2 cars worth about 4 k tops. House hold goods! Nothing to shout about he used to work as a bin man. I believe that his wife works


I'm not sure what you are hoping to achieve here? It would seem they are without funds./

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He took the money spent it, admitted it in court! The law has done nothing but tap him on the wrist and whisper naughty boy !!! So does this mean there's nothing can be done or can he be pursued legally to pay back the money?

Not in practice.

If he doesn't have the money then there is no point in suing him. All you will end up with is judgment without the capacity to recover the money and a large costs order.

You can always sue at the county court. There is not usually considered much point in suing people of straw though.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jo for your help I was afraid that would be the outcome. I just would have thought that the court could have ordered the money to be repaid weekly/monthly. Is it against the law to go and ask him for some sort of reparation face to face?