How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Please help. My father lived in an X council house which was

Customer Question

Please help. My father lived in an X council house which was bought by one of my brothers using dad's discount to purchase at a reasonable price. As long as dad luved there till death. Now after a few years he ( brother) lost his business and was finding funding hard he got work here n there but he did get behind in payments. He offered myself n my husband to move in and that would help him. We did and as soon called tenant's we paid all the house bills plus rent each month this helped him out. So he had nothing else to pay apart from his personal things. Eventually we moved out as i felt he was being unfair as we paid everything and he was never thankful. Please bear in mind i have not got on even as young kids, I took I'll with cancer, I'm OK now thankfully but as I was convalescing dad came to stay with us for a short time. To cut a long story short HE had to sell up cos he owed so much this made my ( our ) dad without a permanent home so he stayed and lived with us. Now dad had a car and he got himself a bank loan and upgraded his car bless him, as tie went on he told me the loan was paid off and he wanted to change his car again as he liked automatics.he put the car he had in part exchange plus cash he was short so I helped him out and he agreed we both owed the car. Now he took I'll so I was to n froeing him to hospital alot when he was in hospital as a patient he told me the car was mine as I had paid 200pd and ferried him about. Sadly he has passed away and now the so called brothers is demanding I give him the car as it is his ... where do I stand if he continues to harrass me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I am sorry for your loss

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

Why does your brother think that the car is here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He reckons he paid a 1000pd for it
I was with my father when he bought it and he only.paid 500pd which included his old car n the 200pd I paid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My father bequeathed thee car to me
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Did your father actually leave a Will?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not on paper
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

When was it purchased?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
February this yr
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Do you still have the receipt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to look through his paperwork
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

If you purchased the cat jointly using joint funds then the car is yours - you only need the receipt to prove it

Otherwise technically the value of the car needs to be split between you and your brother

If he continues to harass you after you have proved the purchase price tell him you will call the police if he contacts you again

Please ask if you need further details