How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mum is in care home and has to sell her house to pay

This answer was rated:

My mum is in care home and has to sell her house to pay fees. Is there any way this can be avoided as she wanted her children to have it Unfortunately we have been told that this cannot be done

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

How long has your mother been the sole owner of the property?

Could it be let out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could be let out but family are
Not happy to do it as it needs quite a lot of repairs. She had been living there for nearly 70 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mam and dad owned house for 65 yrs

When did your father die?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nearly 11 yrs ago

In that case I am afraid there really is no other option

Or rather the other options are

1. Pay for the home yourselves as a family

2. Care for your mother yourselves

3. Do the property up and let it and use the income to pay the fees

I am sorry - I do know how hard these choices are

Please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.