How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been asked to help police with an enquiry into

Customer Question

I have been asked to help police with an enquiry into something that happened 20 years ago, an old aquaintence was sexually abused and the police want to speak to me (although not urgently, i gave them my number over a week ago and they have just emailed to say they will try to call later in the week.) I think the reason they have been in touch is because I knew about the incident as I worked in a doctor surgery and I saw it in his notes. I really can't remember any details but I am very nervous about speaking to them as the victim felt at the time that I was indiscrete with the information, he accused me of discussing it with his girlfriend. I gather (from his now ex girlfriend) that he has brought allegations against the man who abused him. I haven't seen the victim for years, do you think they just want me as a witness or could I be in trouble over the data breach? If I was just being called as a witness could I incriminate myself if I say anything about his medical notes. I really would like to help bring the person to justice but I feel very nervous.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you wanted to know about this?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If you don't want to get involved then just refuse to make a statement.

You will be a recent complaint witness. They do not add a huge amount to allegations really.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They can get any recent complaint from his medical notes anyway if he consents and if he does not then there are inferences to be drawn.

For what it is worth, I'm not sure I would get involved in an allegation like this.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It is possible they are interested in the data breach but that sounds more like a regulatory matter for the professional bodies.

However, if he has accused you of various indiscretions then I wouldn't get involved with him.

Can I clarify anything for you?