How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

On 26th May I bought an Audi A4,cabriolet from Auto Trade

This answer was rated:

On 26th May I bought an Audi A4,cabriolet from Auto Trade Direct Ltd in Amersham, an advert link through AutoTrader online.
The vehicle had good features, low mileage, excellent paintwork and interior for a 2004 plate.
I took the car in for a service as this was due, with the service being carried out by MDM Technik, Audi specialists in Marlow.
I asked the owner of MDM to thoroughly check every moving part to ensure the car would not cause me any problems.
After checking he gave me a list of work to be completed, which made the vehicle " not fit for purpose" and was illegal as the passenger front tyre had a hole in it through to the core and would have blown at any time. An MOT certificate had been issued on 12th May 2016.
I paid £5600.00 for the car and £3577.99 for the repairs.
The owner of Auto Trade Direct gave me a 6 months warranty and £500.00 per garage visit.
I have tried to reach Ozzy on his mobile and business line but no one is answering. He said he would try to resolve the matter and did not want his reputation to be tarnished.
I need to know where I stand with the Trading Standards Authority on this and would very much appreciate your advice as I do not know when my calls will be returned, if at all
Thank you and kind regards
John Waters

Hello John my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to achieve some compensation as To buy a car then pay another 67% in repair bills of its value is scandalous and the car was in a dangerous condition to drive

You need to write and set out your losses and request a compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not comepnsate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great, thank you Alex
Kind regards
John Waters

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance! Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you