How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Divorced 1993 no kids. Signed property over to husband. He

This answer was rated:

Divorced 1993 no kids. Signed property over to husband. He verbally promised to pay endowment held in joint names. Statements received annually in joint names. Payments always made by ex to endowment. Now matured. Ex won't give 1/2. quotes equitable accounting. Policy worth 28,000. Will only give 2,500. Endowment company say WE must agree on split of payment. Both of us remarried. Help please !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now wants to go mediation then threatening court action.

Hi, thank you for your question. As part of the divorce was there a court approved financial settlement, if so what were the terms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No financial settlement. Quick divorce. Just sold one property split proceeds. Signed another property over to ex.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if you received my last answer, no financial settlement. Can equitable accounting be used as an argument by him? I've always assumed I would get 1/2, got annual statement every year etc.

Thanks for the confirmation. As there was no financial settlement and you have both remarried, if the matter proceeded to court as it is a matrimonial asset he would only be able to proceed to claim for his legal share of the endowment.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you would say even though he has paid all the money in a judge would say he is only entitled to 1/2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His solicitor says he can argue on equitable accounting?

Have they clarified exactly what figure they have reached if they take into accounts the sole payments he has been making?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The endowment in joint names has matured. We paid £2,500 he alone after the divorce paid about 18,000 into a joint named policy over 20+ years promising to split it. Now says he wants it all.

Thank you - he may potentially have a claim towards his contributions on an equitable accounting perspective due to you transferring the property to him. However, as the policy remained in both your names you have argument that it should be split equally.

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you