How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50191
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have 2 solar panels not working fully out of 15. I have a

This answer was rated:

I have 2 solar panels not working fully out of 15. I have a 5 year guarantee with the suppliers but they are telling me to claim the replacement panels and get them fitted. Surely that is their job as I do not understand all the technicalities. The panels have been installed for 3 years. The installer is Brill Energy *********** Can anyone help?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Have the panels become faulty recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IN April

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want someone in the uk???

I am a UK based solicitor. Please do leave it with me and I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Many thanks for your patience. Whether you have a guarantee or not, the issue is that you cannot physically force the original installers to repair or replace the existing panels. They may have an obligation to do so under the guarantee but if they refuse to resolve it, it is simply not possible to make them come out and fix this. So what you would have to do instead is get the repairs done yourself and pursue the original installers for the costs in doing so. I understand that you may not be technically informed about what exactly needs to be done but that is why it would be best to get a solar panel company to advise you on what is needed as they will know what the issues are and what exactly needs doing.

It would be best to get 3 different quotes and go for the lowest one just so you can show you have been reasonable in your approach and have not unnecessarily gone for the most expensive or the first quote you received. Once the repairs have been carried out you can pursue the original installers for the costs you spent on getting someone else carry out the repairs.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow should they become difficult about reimbursing you for these costs, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you. Whenever a dispute arises over compensation owed by one party to another, the party at fault can be pursued through the civil courts. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the party at fault to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the party at fault must be sent a formal letter asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue the compensation due. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.