How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71137
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A convicted sex offender ( American national) was sentenced

This answer was rated:

A convicted sex offender ( American national) was sentenced to a 4 year prison sentence in this country with a release date of January 2017. We have now become aware that he was deported on May 31 (without us or even his parole officer being notified). This person is now re-establishing contact with the victim who at 17 is even now still a minor ( we have proof of this in our possession in the form of Internet sexting pictures ). He is therefore in obvious breach of the conditions attached to his conviction at the time. What are our options? Will the American authorities be able to take any action, and how come he wasn't deported to an American jail to serve the remainder of his sentence? This seems like early release!
Regards ***** ***** der Heijden

What was the substantive offence?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Penetrating sex with 14 Jr old whilst being her teacher

He is in breach of the conditions but whether or not he will be the subject of a prosecution is another matter.

The American authorities have no jurisdiction. They can and will co-operate with the UK authorities but it is not all that likely that the UK authorities would seek to return him to the UK over this.

He would be breached in the UK but that is only really going to have practical effect if he is returned to the UK for recall.

She can always block him on social media sites or change email address etc. There are lots of things that can be done to provide immediate protection.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter whom we haven't confronted yet seems to be still under the influence of this paedophile and complying with requests for sexting! I do not know how to tackle this since she won't be a minor for much longer (18 May 2017). She is obvious in danger of destroying her entire future ( possibly Oxbridge next year), and I would like the relevant authorities to do whatever is possible to prevent any form of contact between the 2.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

No, she won't be a minor much longer and that is an issue.

The reality is that if she wishes to have contact with him then that is something she is free to do in the long run.

It is quite unlikely the UK authorities will seek his return I'm afraid.

Apart from anything else, if she is 17 then she is over the age of consent for actual sex now.

The only reason there is potentially an offence here is that the age of consent for photography is higher.

But within a year she will be free to have contact with him as she wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm aware of the legal limits, but is there anything I can do to make the police persue this both here or with their counterparts in the states, or are there any possibilities on a private basis?

There is no means of seeking extradition on a private basis.

As I have said, the Americans have no jurisdiction.

There aren't really any means of forcing the police in the UK to do something they would not normally do.

Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I think you have just reaffirmed what I already knew and thought.
Regards ***** ***** van der Heijden