How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My partner and I split up the same month we signed our

Customer Question

My partner and I split up the same month we signed our mortgage. He continued living in the house for a further 3 months. I have been paying the mortgage for over 10 years but his mane is still on the mortgage. He has not made a contribution.
I owe him 12.000 pounds and we agreed I would pay this when I sell.
I intend selling at the end of the year but I fear he will demand half of the proceeds. I have invested a great deal in the house and sacrificed a lot to replace and repair.
I thought about asking a solicitor to write to him asking him to sign something to confirm our agreement. Is this the right thing to do or do I have another option.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are/were you married to each other?

-Do you have any children together, if so how old and what are the proposed arrangements?

-How much is the property worth and what is the outstanding mortgage?

-Are both your names on the title deed and is it as joint tenants or tenants in common?