How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A neighbour took s fence down red 2 tree surgeons to cut a

This answer was rated:

A neighbour took his fence down hired 2 tree surgeons to cut a lot of trees down in my garden without asking, they also tipped rubbish in the garden including an old chair and carpets, when I approached the neighbour he assaulted me with a crutch, I had my dictaphone on in my pocket but the police say he will probably get away with it because there is no video evidence of the assault, but could you tell me what I can do about him trespassing and just cutting down 40 year old trees that were not hanging over his side, he hasn't put the fence up either and I fear for the safety of my 82 mother with Alzheimer's

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear, the trees were on your side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the trees were on my side the garden was overgrown it's a long garden and they said they didn't realise it was a garden but there is nothing else it could be

Ok - what do you want to achieve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to ensure the garden security by him putting the fence back up and making sure he cannot destroy any more trees, if possible I would like to take him to court so it is officially noted

Ok - so the fence is still down?
Take him to court for what though?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I told the tree surgeons not to touch one tree that was nowhere near their property and after he assaulted me they pulled it down because they didn't realise I was recording it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trespassing destroying trees are you telling me I can walk in someone's garden and cut trees down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fence is still down

Ok - but they never refused to put the fence back up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't asked but I don't think they will

Ok - well you need to ask.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a they put the fence up and compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What losses can I ask for please?

Compensation for trespassing, damaging trees etc.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would think a reasonable figure would be?

Hard to say, I cant see it being more than £5000


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One final question it happened last Tuesday 14 days from then or 14 days from now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The second link says access denied

14 days from when you send the letter. - it does work

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand what to do now but every time I click on the link it says access denied

Try this:


If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the link works on the desktop thank you, ***** ***** going to rate when I knew the outcome, but I will do sooner. I have sent a special delivery letter to him but he refused it so I am sending 3 other letters 2 days apart and getting proof of posting.. The trouble is now I need his name to fill out the N1 form and I don't know it, can you tell me how to find it out please?

If you dont know it, you can just put persons unknown.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the court will except this no problem?

Yes. Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** I doing enough to let him know, ive sent 1 registered post which he has refused and I will send 3 letters with proof of posting, do I need to hand deliver a letter with a witness?

Not at this stage no.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that means I have to in the future?

For paperwork if contested, yes.

Does that clarify? Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks

Thanks. Alex