How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My son is being accused of raping a girl one and a half

This answer was rated:

My son is being accused of raping a girl one and a half years ago, he of course denies this. The girl and a friend of hers have now spread the accusations to all his friends. What can he do?

What is he hoping to do about this?

I suppose she has no money?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was hoping it would go away originally, as the girl agreed they should both get on with their lives. Now he just wants it to stop. He has had anxiety issues for years, and is on medication. But we his parents are advising him to be pro active and get help as he is being slandered. We just want to know which way to turn.

Are you asking if he can stop her making an allegation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know should he see a solicitor or go to police.

No, there is no point in doing either.

Unless she has made an allegation to the police there is no point in alerting them to a potential allegation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then what can he do about the slander?

Until there is a live allegation to the police there is nothing a criminal firm can do.

He could get a solicitor to write to her denying the allegations and warning her of the laws of defamation. That would cost about £100 plus VAT.

And there is no point in suing unless she has the money to pay costs and an award.

It would cost about £10k to sue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you.

No problem.

All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you