How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

I am behind on my council tax have received a letter from

Customer Question

I am behind on my council tax have received a letter from the courts to say a court date has been set for 5th August 2016 but they are will to accept payment of £172.00 per month
First payment due 28th July 2016
But I came home yesterday to find a balif has left a letter threatening to come in and take my property unless paid in full
It's for the same bill
Who do I pay?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jo

Did you reach agreement direct with the council about making monthly payments?

Firstly, call the council to establish whether or not they referred the debt to a debt collection agency and if they did ask them to confirm which one. You can also ask the council if they want payment direct or if it must go to the debt collector.

Go the the council first and try to establish the position.

Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

It could be that the council passed it to a collector but the collector is trying it on, trying to get payment in full rather than the installment plan you agreed with the council.

If the council are unhelpful you will have to negotiate a repayment plan with the debt collector.

Do note that the collector cannot enter and seize goods until the matter has gone to court and they have a warrant. Do not worry, the collector cannot just turn up and demand entry to your property.

Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Did you contact the council or debt collector?

Do you need any further assistance. Do let me know.

Please can I ask you to accept my answer, the site works that way and I will not receive credit for helping you otherwise. Thanks.