How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10944
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Living in London since 1987 and I want to apply Leave /

This answer was rated:

I'm Spanish, living in London since 1987 and I want to apply for Indefine Leave / British nationality. The application asks for any criminal records and I have 4 charges of shoplifting between 1988 and 1991. Will this fail my application?
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can wait a bit longer, will you be able to get an answer by the end of next week? Please let me know. Strangely, I have already been charged for this consultation.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. You can ask for a refund at any time under our terms and conditions.
Thank you for your patience,

1. These shoplifting charges will not fail your application because they took place a long time ago. Essentially, the Home Office will grant citizenship even if the person has offended so long as the convictions are "spent" in accordance with the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act which provides that minor offences become spent after seven years after the sentence expires. So here, you don't need to worry.

2. HOwever, you should be aware that you need to have a Permanent Residence card for one year before you make your citizenship application. Here is a link to he application form

3. A Permanent Residence card is necessary in order that you may show you were visa free in the UK BEFORE you apply for citizenship for a period of one year. There is no need to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. You can go straight to citizenship and apply for it.

4. Please Rate the answer, Santos, as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10944
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Buachaill and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you