How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71057
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Me and my other half we are in a sticky situation .Short

This answer was rated:

Me and my other half we are in a sticky situation .Short version is that his daughter came and ask for a car she offer to pay us back,the reason she could not do it is because of her bad credit,we bought the car which was in the end £7400 she start to pay from last year june until last December ,since then nothing .The car has been payed from my account so I have the prove that we pay ,and I have the text messages as well to prove that it wasn't a gift .The problem is that the log book and the invoice from the garage is in her name ,my question is what legally can I do to get the money back.
Kind regards *****

Is it registered to her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is

Does she have any money?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She keeps saying different things she does not have a job but she is doing things on internet

OK. I suppose she has no assets?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apart from the car I don't thing so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Think sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is any chance to go and get the car without us to be in trouble with the police. Thank you

No. If the car is registered to her then she is entitled to physical possession of the vehicle.

It cannot be lawfully reclaimed.

What you can do though is sue her for the money that she owes.

Obviously you may not be able to recover if she has no money but at least she will have a CCJ which will create an incentive to pay.

It is a small claims court sum so it would be cheap to issue and claim.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know how much is going to be to sue her ,just a guess if it possible please.Thank you

If the owed about is £7500 then probably about £300- £500.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for you response ,we will try to look to see what it can be done.
Kind regards *****

No problem. All the best. Please remember to rate my answer.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you