How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I bought the home I live in with my parents in 1983 as a

Customer Question

I bought the home I live in with my parents in 1983 as a joint owner my father died in 1988 and my name was never added to the title deeds. My mother and myself have occupied the property ever since sharing all costs, I paid the original deposit of about 25% , there was a will written by my mother in 1992 and notes from my father to inform any members family as to why I would inherit on my mother death, these papers have gone missing, my mother is still alive but 89 years old she knows the house should go to me but I am unwilling to cause any stress and would like to find out if I can register an interest or similar with the land registry many thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. HR1 is for matrimonial home rights between spouses.

To register a unilateral notice in relation to an interest you will need to complete form UN1.

However, to ensure that there are no issues upon her death maybe your mother should consider bequeathing the property to you in an updated will.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.