How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Our son has just passed away. We know that he made a will

Customer Question

Our son has just passed away. We know that he made a will but cannot find a copy and do not know the name of his solicitor. How do we establish that he has made a will and how do we obtain a copy
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

The situation here is exactly the same in Scotland as it is in England. There is no central register of Wills although there have been many attempts to get one off the ground they have been stillborn. If you know that your son wrote a will, and it’s not in the papers that the house, and you believe it’s with solicitors, there is no easy way other than to write to all the solicitors asking whether they hold a will in that name and that address and telling them that if they do, you will then forward the death certificate so that they can send the will to you. It may be that you are not appointed as executors in which case, they will only send the will to the executors.

If the above draws a blank, there is no easy way of finding out where the will is.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.