How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My daughter has said to other family members that I molested

This answer was rated:

My daughter has said to other family members that I molested her when she was younger, which is totally untrue. What can I do about this?

To achieve what? Are you hoping to stop her making a report?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No report has been made. I have been enstranged from the children of my marriage since my divorce some 10 years ago. I recently reacquainted myself with my eldest and my granddaughter & spent a fabulous day with them. Subsequently my daughter rang me to say my ex-wife had said to her that if she continued to have a relationship with me then she would no longer look after out granddaughter one day a week as my eldest daughter is a single Mum having been divorced herself some 3 years ago. My son has also told her he will not speak to her if she continues to see me. This is totally without foundation and this story is being circulated within the family and more recently to other people I know. It has not been reported to the Police as you would expect and I want to put a stop to this groundless story.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am devastated by this and I need to put a stop to it as I want a normal father daughter relationship with my eldest daughter and my granddaughter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What action can I take against my other two daughters, my son and my ex-wife to stop the perpetuation of this groundless story?

Do you have the money to sue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I might have it depends on the cost of suing, but would not a letter by a solicitor to each individual threatening to sue be effective enough as the slanderous comment is totally without any foundation whatsoever?

Well, they are always without basis.

Are you prepared to risk her making a complaint to the police?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am prepared for them to make a complaint to the police

Sorry for the delay.

You could get a solicitor to write to her for about £100 plus VAT warning her of the laws of defamation. I actually think that is often a good idea. It places the accuser on the backfoot which can be helpful.

The effect it can have though is to enrage them into making an allegation to the police. If she does then you will have to defend it and probably you would prefer not to do that.

the reality though of suing for defamation is that it is not really worth doing.

It is very expensive to sue and she will not be able to pay the award.

Also, you have the burden of proof.

A better option often is to sue for harassment but the test is not really made out yet here.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I use any type of Solicitor for this or does it have to be a specialist solicitor?

Any high street solicitor could send a letter out.

You can also use a barrister under public access which would be cheaper.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK how do I go about using a barrister?

You can try here or

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thanks for your help

No problem.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you