How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

A debt collection company has written to me to advisend I

This answer was rated:

A debt collection company has written to me to advisend I habe 14 days to pay them £300 or it goes to court. What do I do now?
This is 3 separate cases for £100 each. The reason for the claim is 3 separate private parking offences occurring in 2013 when parked outside the property in which I live. I admit to receiving the parking notifications but I'm not happy to pay a fine for parking outside my property. We do have a parking permit but unfortunately you only get allocated 1 per household and we have 2 cars. What is my next step as the letter says it will go to court in 14 days which will cost me more. Can I appeal this before it goes that far?
Thanks for any help
Colin wilson

Are there clear parking restrictions? By this I mean yellow lines or prominent signs?

The court process works like this, if it is sent to court after 14 days have expired you will receive a claim form. You have a fe choices (1) pay the fines, and court fees and potentially 8% interest. You will have a short period of time to pay and payment at this stage will not show as a ccj on your credit file. (2) defend the the claim. Your stance of not being happy to pay to park outside your house is an insufficient defence. The defence must be on the ground that the ticket is invalid, I.e not in accordance with regulations or statute. (3) don't pay. Option 2 could result in a ccj if your defence is invalid. Option 3 will result in a ccj.

You can dispute now if you have valid grounds.

Alternatively try to negotiate paying less as the debt is approx 3 years old. The debt collector may take an offer but if this debt is already showing in your credit file part payment will only show as a partial settlement.

Do you have any further questions or queries? I am happy to assist further.

propertylawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that is fine thank you. I will have to try and arrange settlement with the debt company. Then I will have to turn my anger to the property management company and continually make complaints until I get a second parking permit.
Thanks again