How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Can any one help? My child is now 20, I stopped paying

Customer Question

Can any one help? My child is now 20, I stopped paying maitaince on her 18th birthday as she was out of education and in full time employment. 10 years ago the CSA wrote to me sayng if I paid them £880 pounds they would quash all arrears and I was to oay my ex partner direct, which I did.
I received month or so ago a letter stating my child is now longer eligible for maitainace and case closed.Then this week 3 letters claiming that theyhave decided I know need to pay this debt of £19000 and will put a deduction of earnings on me for£500 a month the following month!!
Apart from this amount will break me,Can theydo this after 10 years plus taking a settlement of £880?
All letters have been received in the past 4 weeks.
Any Help would be usefull.
I have no contact with my daughter and she changed he name 5 years ago.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had no assessment or means test just a letter stating they will take this amount by AOE , All of the letters have not got my N.I. number on . I have not been informed of any court action to this case! Can this be a stab in the dark to try and collect money from myself.?
I have payed a settlement fee over 10 years ago, so dosnt a statue of limitations stand after this spent period?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please carry on .
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How much were the arrears 10 years ago - and do you have evidence of all the payments you have made since then