How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10780
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

What is AST please? I have been renting this property years

This answer was rated:

What is AST please? I have been renting this property for 10 years now and it went up in July 2013. I know that what I am paying is low for a three bedroom terraced with garage for this area, but wanted to know what is the percentage by law that he can put it up?

Hi, as the fixed term of the AST (Assured shorthold tenancy) has finished, the agreement continues to run until either party gives the other Notice to terminate the Agreement. An AST is the standard and usual residential tenancy agreement used in the UK. So, in your situation, your Landlord is free to serve Notice on you to move out, by giving 2 months notice, unless a new Agreement is agreed. Therefore, I'm afraid the Landlord is free to suggest any new rental amount, and if you aren't happy to accept it, he can ask you to leave and he would then have to find a new Tenant. So, hopefully you both can agree a rent between yourselves without this happening. You may want to speak to a local Surveyor as to what the current market rent is for a property like yours and suggest this to be the new rent. If the Landlord then asks for a higher rent, then I'm afraid you have to make a decision as to whether to accept it or face being served with 2 months Notice to leave. I hope this assists and sets out the legal position. Please don't forget to rate my answer if I have helped. Kind Regards Al

Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you