How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

If a person receives a conviction images (no contact

This answer was rated:

If a person receives a conviction for indecent images (no contact offence) and is placed on the sex offender's register, does this automatically mean he will not be allowed to have unsupervised contact with his own children?

How old are the children?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9 and 11
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 11 year old is severely disabled and cannot speak. Both are boys. The police investigation has expressed no suspicions of any offense or questionable thoughts towards the boys. The mother of the boys expresses complete trust and desire for the father (the offender) to have unsupervised access. She is of sound mind and intelligent. Other character references are offered and the pre-sentence report should be favourable in terms of remorse and the offender has taken positive steps to address his behavior (voluntary professional counselling from the outset of bail). Bail conditions have been adhered to over a period of 6 months, which have included supervised access to the boys requiring only the mother's supervision. It is a first offense. Charges are yet to be brought, but are expected to be possession and making of images. The offending images related only to girls not known to the offender, about 1,500 images with 100 of the most serious category A.

It is likely that social services would want to do some form of risk assessment.

The criminal courts would not have any authority to prevent contact. I suppose that bail conditions may be levied but that would only last so long.

On the face of it, social services would be the only source of intervention. If the mother is not minded to prevent contact then the family court would not become involved in the matter.

I suppose social services would have to be informed by somebody but it is probable that the police would do that if there is a safeguarding issue.

The truth is that if they knew about it, social services would probably have an issue with contact without any supervision at all.

that is not to say it won't be achieved in the long term but they would probably want to assess the risks. Come what may, this is a sexual offence even if it didn't involve children and that will concern them.

Sorry if that is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Social services have had no intervention since the outset, (ordering the supervision order for bail). I am presuming they will be 'interested' again once a judgement on the case is given at crown court. Can you clarify, if the judge at crown court feels it uneccessary to place a SHPO on the 2 children, giving the father unfettered access (assuming a custodial sentence is avoided, or at least suspended) can the social services then still interfere?

The Judge won't take any action in relation to social services.

the police may inform them though.

Yes, social services could interfere even if there is an acquittal.

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you