How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My partner has a court summons drink driving charge. He

This answer was rated:

Hi, my partner has a court summons for a drink driving charge. He drove his car no more than 100 metres, turned it around and parked it. A family argument was taking place at the time and the police had been called. When they arrived my partner was just parking the car, and his brother decided to inform the police that he had been drinking so the police arrested him. In the car his test was 69, at the police station it was 42 and then 43.
The police did not offer a blood or urine test.
He got in the car as his parents and brother were forcing him to leave his parents home. He has a pending speeding fine which occurred in January (108mph), but other than that has a clean driving record.
He is the only carer for his 16 YO son who has Nefrotic Syndrome and requires frequent hospital appointments.
We are expecting that he will lose his license, but do you think there are mitigating circumstances that may result in less than 12 months? Should we hire a solicitor for the court appearance?
Many thanks for your advice

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Does he have any other previous offences?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. There is only the pending speeding fine.

Ok - potentially he could argue shortness of distance driven. This is a specialist argument and he would need representation with this. That means he pleads guilty but argues he didnt go very far.

If he is banned he is looking at 12 months, there is no getting around that as the Court does not have any discretion. They MUST impose a ban for 12 months.

However if he does the drink drive course it would reduce it by 25% to 9 months.

Whether he is the only carer for his son is NOT relevant and wont be taken into account.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the fact that the police did not offer a blood or urine test for being between 40 and 50 microgrammes have any bearing on his case?

No, that was abolished last year.

Does that clarify? ALex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your advice.