How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am a resident in Newham borough. I have trees that are

This answer was rated:

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am a resident in Newham borough. I have trees that are over grown from 2 of my neighbours properties. This is coursing my kids to not be able to play in our garden as they are getting bitten all over their legs and its affecting their health a lot. The one neighbour is elderly and can not afford to look after his garden, which looks really bad. We do not direct sun on our property due to these over grown trees, what can I do?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

For now please let me know whether you are able to trim the trees back to the boundary line?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex
I can trim some trees but the most of them are tall and over grown.

Ok - have you approached your neighbour?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have and he is ok for me to trim the trees but I don't want to have the cost of trimming all the trees.

Sadly you have the cost of trimming your side. You cant claim that back.

If you are permitted to trim the other side you may be able to claim that back.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why can't I approach the council as my kids and I are getting affected by there trees?

But the Council wont do anything, its nothing to do with them.

Its between you and your neighbour.

Does that clarify? Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you