I am a resident in Newham borough. I have trees that are

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am a resident in Newham borough. I have trees that are over grown from 2 of my neighbours properties. This is coursing my kids to not be able to play in our garden as they are getting bitten all over their legs and its affecting their health a lot. The one neighbour is elderly and can not afford to look after his garden, which looks really bad. We do not direct sun on our property due to these over grown trees, what can I do?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

For now please let me know whether you are able to trim the trees back to the boundary line?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex
I can trim some trees but the most of them are tall and over grown.

Ok - have you approached your neighbour?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have and he is ok for me to trim the trees but I don't want to have the cost of trimming all the trees.

Sadly you have the cost of trimming your side. You cant claim that back.

If you are permitted to trim the other side you may be able to claim that back.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why can't I approach the council as my kids and I are getting affected by there trees?

But the Council wont do anything, its nothing to do with them.

Its between you and your neighbour.

Does that clarify? Alex