How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50154
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

My son has had a letter from a debt collection agency saying

This answer was rated:

My son has had a letter from a debt collection agency saying he owes £4100 from 2007 when he was with his former partner. They do not know what the debt was for as they have taken over the debt from another company. My son doe s not know what this could be for
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: The only details we know is the name of the debt collectors which are Robinson Way. Salford

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

What options have the debt collection agency provided with regards ***** ***** it off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Monthly Payments from 3 to 5 years or an amount he can afford but he is not convinced he owes this money. Can he insist that he receives details of this debt ?.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you in a short while. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your questions to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. He can certainly ask for details of the debt because otherwise anyone can contact him and say he owes them money and he would have to pay it. So if he has doubts over the legitimacy of this debt or he is simply uncertain about whether he owes them anything, he can challenge them over this and ask them to provide sufficient details to satisfy himself that he does indeed owe that money. He cannot be forced to pay anything until then and the only way they can force him to do so would be if they take him to court and win and to do so they would need to provide evidence anyway. The most important thing for now is that he does not make any payments towards this or that he does not admit the debt in any way. The debt could potentially be too late to pursue because there is a limit of 6 years to make a claim for such debts, but doing either of these can extend that deadline, hence why it is important that he does not pay anything or admit it until he is satisfied that he owes it.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of how exactly to work out if this debt is still in time to pursue, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** follow your advise

Many thanks. To work out if the debt is still in time you need to check whether there was a specific date for repayment of the loan and if there was – the six year limit would run from that date. If there was no specified date for repayment, the six year limit would run from the date a formal demand for repayment was made by the creditor. Also a new six year limit can start from the date the debtor has acknowledged the debt in writing or they have made a payment towards this debt.