How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My common law relationship of 12 years to my Fiancée is

This answer was rated:

My common law relationship of 12 years to my Fiancée is ending , she no longer loves me and wants to split.I have been engaged to her for 6 years and supported her and even employed her .We had not made any legal contracts over our relationship or living arrangements.
I have several properties all deeds in my name solely she has one .She has never financially contributed to any of the properties and I have always paid every bill we have ever had including holidays and general living etc.
When everything was ok I made a will out sharing my properties with my fiancee my adult children and her daughter and her daughter ( I think of her as my daughter and grandaughter)
I know i need to make a new revised will but were do I legaly stand over my properties and savings .

Hi, thank you for your question.

As you are not married, there are no formal agreements, contributions or intentions and her name is ***** ***** the title of any of your properties, she has no claim towards these properties.

In the event that you took financial responsibility for her daughter, and if she is aged under 20 and remains in education then she could potentially seek child maintenance from you.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice that gives me options without worry ,how about my savings and pension
Thank you

It will be the same situation with your savings and pensions, so long as savings are in your sole name and your pension does not name her as your beneficiary.

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you