How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50138
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I am a Caterer, I am fitting-out a new premises, I have

This answer was rated:

I am a Caterer, I am fitting-out a new premises, I have bought mostly second hand equipment for my new premises.
One particular supplier has sent me equipment that is in such terrible condition that my electrician refuses to install it.
I have attempted to have the unit in question returned, the supplier has a lot of excuses mostly about the credibility of my tradesman on why he will not accept a return.
I have been yelled at down the phone, told it's my problem, and hung up on.
This does not seem fair to me...
Many thanks

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. When did you buy the equipment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The equipment was purchased in late May, was delivered in June, I was abroad at the time of the delivery. The item is a walk-in fridge. I bought it at the same time as 3 other pieces, a double sink, a blast-chiller, and a dishwasher. I noticed the tap unit on the sink was broken, so I contacted the company, I am still waiting for the replacement. At this time I requested assurances that the other equipment was in working order and did not receive a reply. I was abroad for one week, and followed this up after my return. I received an apology for not replying but not the assurances I requested.

Did you have a purchase contract with them and if so did it exclude the Sale of Goods Act 1979?

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Whenever a dispute arises over compensation owed by one party to another, the party at fault can be pursued through the civil courts. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the party at fault to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the party at fault must be sent a formal letter asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue the compensation due. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.