How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49827
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now


Customer Question

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Are you the builder or the client? Please can you also tell me how long ago the work was done and how long after this, payment is not being made?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks Ben. I am the builder. We did some structural investigation work for the client and when presented with the bill he said he never authorised the work. i have an E:mail trail a mile long that says he did. Is this Fraud or a breach of the Goods and Services Act?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK, let me look into this. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you in a short while. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your questions to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. This is neither fraud nor a breach of the Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act. This is a simple breach of contract matter, where one party has not honoured the obligations it has under that contract, in this case paying for the services they have received. So you will not be able to pursue this as a criminal matter or report it to the police because they will clearly see it as a civil dispute and refuse to get involved. You can however pursue this through the civil courts. You have 6 years from the date the debt became due to take this further so you have plenty of time to consider issuing a claim. There are a few steps you must follow before you do this though, mainly to give the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action, but if that does not help then you are able to proceed further.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow to take this matter further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank yo

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.